Right now across America, Canada, Mexico, the UK, France, and Australia, couples young and old are planning dates for Valentine’s Day. With so much love in the air—and since it’s one of our core values here at Outsource Marketing—we’re hopping on the bandwagon.
Love binds people together, deepens relationships, and builds respect and understanding. While these are good for everyone, they’re very important in marketing.
How can love improve your marketing?
Marketing is how you show your customers who you are. You improve your marketing with love when you’re able to communicate and share your passions.
You’ve heard the old adage “If you do what you love you’ll never work a day in your life,” but I have to disagree. Doing what you love doesn’t mean that you don’t work. Doing what you love means that you’re willing to work harder because you have the passion and the drive to make waves.
Your love is what wins customers’ attention and loyalty. You can show love to your customers in many of the same ways you show gratitude (check out our last happiness blog for that!). Taking the time to get to know your customers, showing your appreciation for what they do for you, and even sending them some branded swag like coffee cups, mouse pads, or—our designer’s current favorite—enamel pins!
Our friends and long-term clients at White River Credit Union recently told us the story of one of their members who needed a loan for his cat’s medical expenses. They were so inspired by the love he had for his feline friend that they made him a puzzle featuring all of his cats and put it in their atrium for their members to assemble…now THAT’S love!
And that kind of love not only builds strong relationships, it allows you to create impactful content that comes from the heart. If you’re deeply invested in your subject, your excitement and nuanced understanding will make for more authentic and persuasive marketing.
There’s magic when you let love guide your marketing. When you’re passionate, you’re more productive, successful, and feel more fulfilled. On top of that, your love inspires others. I’m reminded of when I participated in a local Relay for Life event. There were people from every walk of life, and the most moving were those who had experience with cancer. Their love for life and their passion for fighting cancer set them apart and showed people like me the true meaning of survival. Sure, I raised money. But these people raised more, inspired more people, and drew others into the cause in ways I couldn’t.
How do you show your love?
Communicate your values and overarching goals. Surround your company with examples of who you are and what you support.
- Show your customers love by sending them messages outside of normal communications to remind them how they inspire you. A quick “Saw your blog about the latest phishing emails—will be sharing with my family to avoid scams!” shows you’re going beyond surface level.
- If the relationship is there, ask them about their lives and what drives them, and share yourself with them. Interaction builds connection and shows us our commonalities.
- For B2C, consider events or activities to build relationships between your customers and your employees.
- For your close business clients, break bread with them and get to know them on a deeper level. Try to understand what drives them so you serve them better.
- Within your office or workspace, show your co-workers your passions and ask about theirs. The buzz someone gets when they do what they love is contagious!
How do you move forward?
If you don’t have a marketing team, or you’re struggling to express your passion, you might want to consider outsourcing your marketing. Here at Outmark®, we believe that marketing + happiness = growth and, in order to achieve that happy rush, you need love.
How about a meet-cute? Reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call at (425) 283-1800. We’ll be your Valentine! ????